Current:Home > InvestBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Elevate Capital Network
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:06:53
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- 'Ambitious' plan to reopen channel under collapsed Baltimore bridge by May's end announced
- 'Ambitious' plan to reopen channel under collapsed Baltimore bridge by May's end announced
- 2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse
- Colt Ford 'in stable but critical condition' after suffering heart attack post-performance
- Nickelodeon Host Marc Summers Says He Walked Off Quiet on Set After “Bait and Switch” Was Pulled
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Johnson & Johnson to buy Shockwave Medical in $13.1 billion deal to further combat heart disease
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- What Sofía Vergara and Joe Manganiello Are Each Getting in Their Divorce
- 5 lessons for young athletes (and their parents) from the NCAA Final Four basketball teams
- GA judge rejects Trump's attempt to dismiss charges | The Excerpt
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- As Florida Smalltooth Sawfish Spin and Whirl, a New Effort to Rescue Them Begins
- Man convicted of hate crimes for attacking Muslim man in New York City
- 'No that wasn't the sound system': Yankees react to earthquake shaking ground on Opening Day
Recommendation
Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
Maryland lawmakers finalizing $63B budget with some tax, fee increases
Johnson & Johnson to buy Shockwave Medical in $13.1 billion deal to further combat heart disease
How are earthquakes measured? Get the details on magnitude scales and how today's event stacks up
Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
Christian Combs, Diddy's son, accused of sexual assault in new lawsuit: Reports
American families of hostages in Gaza say they don’t have time for ‘progress’ in cease-fire talks
3 retired Philadelphia detectives to stand trial in perjury case stemming from 2016 exoneration